Vila da Luz, or Praia da Luz as it is more commonly known, is situated about 5 kms west of the historic town of Lagos.  The use of the name Praia da Luz ( ‘Beach of Light’) is actually fairly recent and was introduced as a result of the fishermen’s lights in the bay at night.  It was first recorded in 1928, and its use increased rapidly in the second half of the 20th century, with the tourist influx.  More recently Luz has gained town status and should officially be called ‘Vila da Luz’

Formerly a fishing village, Luz has sandy blue flag beaches, clear water and the black rock (Rocha Negra).  Dating back to medieval times it was called ‘Nossa Senhora da Luz’ – Our Lady of Light – after ‘Luz’ who was the patron saint of the village

The Parish of Luz was formally constituted in 1673 however dating back as far as the 13th century Luz has been connected with sardine fishing which employed around 90 men.  In the 19th century the cannery industry also became an important part of the village and surrounding areas.  Three factories served to conserve fish in olive oil, preceding the salting of sardine in the same fashion.  These factories supported 100 workers, with the majority (60) of them being women.  Luz was also a major producer off figs which were regularly exported to the fine sweets industry while wheat and barley were cultivated in many of the surrounding areas

1755 Earthquake, PortugalFollowing the earthquake and tsunami in 1755 the region was decimated.  The redevelopment only began in the second half of the 19th century and in 1893 the census indicated a population of less than 1712 inhabitants

Comments are closed.